Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I ate octopus!

Those of you who know me well know I am not the most adventurous eater. Well I went to dinner with some fellow teachers at a noodle restaurant a block from our home. When we looked at the menu we realize it is all in Korean. We look at the table and there is a gas burner in it. We look at the waitress and point to the burner...She points to 2 choices on the menu. We chose to split the more expensive one expecting that it should feed all 5 of us.
She brings a pan with lots of greens (cabbage, bok choy, shallots, etc) a layer of octopus then another layer of bean sprouts and greens. She turns on the burner and walks away.
We use our tongs and scissors to cut up the kimchi. In a few minutes she comes back to mix up our meal....so to my relief, yes the octopus got cooked. Although, when it is getting cooked the legs curl up and make it look like it is still alive. Not so reassuring to someone who is a little skeptical to try it anyway. Staring at the tentacles made me a little uneasy!
Anyway, once she finished cooking it she motioned to us that it was okay to serve ourselves. I started with just some greens and buried an octopus somewhere in it so when I ate it, I ate it. (Jedi mind trick) It was spicy as been the norm here, but delicious. The octopus was a new texture, I had to adjust to that. The taste was great...just the texture. Chewier than I'm used to haha. All in all a good experience.
Our table went through 4 bottles of water and had to request rice while everyone else in the restaurant just enjoyed their meal. :) Go us!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!
    Octopus does NOT taste like chicken. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nis...I learned that when I tried it haha. Promised I would blog about food so here you go :)

    ReplyDelete