Saturday, August 23, 2014

School is back in session

So Monday began day one of year 11 of teaching. Even though I have been in this teaching game for 10 years now I am amazed that this year in particular I finally feel like I know what to do. Like I'm no longer a rookie, which is funny since it has been a long time since I started. 
I am team lead this year meaning I am overseaing all 3 kinder classes and the liaison between my team and my boss. I was so incredibly nervous to fill this spot as my premises or was really good at it. Turns out nothing has blown up yet! Granted it is only week one finished but I was certain the whole school would burn down in that first week. And even better my team is awesome! I'm sure we will have our conflicts throughout the year but we seem able to compromise easily and talk honestly with each other. I feel so blessed to have them. 
At the end of last school I had hand picked an awesome intern that I was really excited to work with this year. Unfortunately Korea decided he couldn't switch from his student visa to a work visa and 2 weeks before I returned I learned I would have to try to replace him.  My boss sent me the resume of a recent UVA grad. A girl name Liz. I called and chatted with her for a bit and got the sense she was easy going and hard working but the true test would be when we began working. She is amazing!  From the first meet and greet with students she has been full on. We have an active class and I'm sure I would not survive the day without her constant help. She stayed with me until almost 7pm all week working in the classroom because we are usually chatting and  I forget to tell her to go home. So instead I take her out to eat and introduce her to new Korean foods (which she also loves!) 

So all in all the start of year 11 has been a good one. I feel so thankful for all the teachers I have learned from especially Marla and Casey as they pasted on so much of who I am as a teacher. I am blessed to have so many wize and varied teachers in my family and friends. Many family members who retired and pass on wisdom and friends like Mandy who are just heading into the field and challenge me to keep getting better at what I love. 
This is some of my awesome team including the 2 other lead teachers Brian and Aniela and my intern Liz with an added bonus of Brian's girlfriend Emily (also a teacher but college level)
Thank you to all the teachers who have touched my life! 💜

No comments:

Post a Comment